As an owner of a motor vehicle, you are legally qualified in Nebraska to offer an opinion regarding its value. This is true of any physical property or tangible item that you own. You cannot testify about the value of property owned by another person unless you qualify as an expert.  When a negligent driver damages your car, you are qualified to testify as to your opinion of the value of the car. If it is not your car and you are not an expert in that area, such as an experienced car dealer, then the law will not let you offer an expert opinion. When an insurance company lowballs you on the property damage to your own vehicle, as an owner you are able and qualified to personally challenge that estimate.

If you have any questions about this area of law, call Steve Howard at Steve Howard Law at 402-281-4680 or email Steve at